My reading list

After some thoughts, research, and suggestions, I have settled on my reading list for 2010. This is not to say that these will be the only books I will read, but it will give me something to aim at as opposed to how I usually go about it (a.k.a no plan whatsoever). In no particular order, here they are:






Shepherding a Child's Heart – Ted Tripp (Parenting)






When Helping Hurts – Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert (Missions)






The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God – D.A. Carson (Theology)






The Walk – Stephen Smallman (Discipleship)






How to Read a Book – Mortimer Adler (General)






Orthodoxy – G.K. Chesterton (Classics)






Simple Student Ministry – Eric Geiger and Jeff Borton (Student Ministry)






Through the Gates of Splendor – Elisabeth Elliot (Biography)






The Hole in our Gospel – Richard Stearns (Missions)






1-2-1 Discipleship – Christine Dillon (Discipleship)






Our Accountability to God – A.W. Pink (Classics)






Counterfeit Gods – Tim Keller (Theology)






There are a couple that I hope to add to the list. I had a hard time narrowing them down and I hope I get through these 12 so that I can also read:






Family Driven Faith – Vodie Baucham (Parenting)






The Life and Diary of David Brainerd (Biography)






The Meaning of the Pentateuch – John Sailhamer (Theology)

So come January, I will kick it all off with "Shepherding a Child's Heart."  Anyone else game?

Posted by Jack | at 11:57 AM

2 comments:

caulfieldkid said...

count me in.

Max Weismann said...

We are a not-for-profit educational organization, founded by Mortimer Adler and we have recently made an exciting discovery--three years after writing the wonderfully expanded third edition of How to Read a Book, Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren made a series of thirteen 14-minute videos, lively discussing the art of reading. The videos were produced by Encyclopaedia Britannica. For reasons unknown, sometime after their original publication, these videos were lost.

Three hours with Mortimer Adler on one DVD. A must for libraries and classroom teaching the art of reading.

I cannot over exaggerate how instructive these programs are--we are so sure that you will agree, if you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your donation.

Please go here to see a clip and learn more:

http://www.thegreatideas.org/HowToReadABook.htm