On gravity and worship

Tonight we were on the back deck, getting ready to grill. Something fell from one of the trees and made a loud clank as it hit the roof of our small storage shed. Caleb, our three year old, asked, "what was that, Daddy?!" so I told him. Then he asked the obvious follow up question, "why did it fall?" I then began to attempt an explanation of gravity to him. In the middle of what I thought was a good explanation, he said, "hey Daddy watch my car!" and drove it down the steps.

As he drove his Hot Wheel monster truck down the handrail, I couldn't get gravity out of my mind. What would life be like without it? It is essential for all that we know. Without it, my grill would float away. Without it, my excitement over college football season would be pointless. Without it, driving to the hospital for the arrival of our third child would be precarious at best.

Gravity is God's idea along with electricity, atoms, seasons, and everything else we take for granted or think nothing of from day to day. When you take a moment and actually stop to think about how amazing gravity is, how can you not stand in awe of the infinitely creative, powerful, and sovereign Creator?!?!

"For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands I sing for joy. How great are your works, O LORD! Your thoughts are very deep!" Psalms 92:4-5

Posted by Jack | at 10:44 PM

1 comments:

caulfieldkid said...

Great and gracious indeed.