Sovereignty and Missions in Daniel, part 1

In my personal study time, I have been reading the book of Daniel.  I have finished the first four chapters and there is a powerful recurring theme I have noticed: the sovereignty of God in all things.  After reading chapter four, I went back and looked over the previous chapters and reflected on how God's sovereignty is seen up to that point.  Here is what I found:

  • He is the one who gave Israel into the hands of the Babylonians (1:2)
  • He is the one who moved people into government positions (1:9, 17, 2:36)
  • He knows all thoughts and dreams (2:19)
  • He is the one who brings about the future (2:28, 45)
  • He is sovereign over human plots and designs (3:28)
Chapter four has a statement that is repeated, with slight variation, three times (v. 17, 25, 32) "till you know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will."  This is important in that it reminds us that God's sovereignty is not limited to the nation of Israel or the Church.  God is the rightful and sovereign King of all the earth.

This has many powerful implications, especially in the area of missions.  For that, you will have to wait for my next post.

Posted by Jack | at 8:00 AM

0 comments: