Beware of going to church

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
(Heb 4:1-2)

Over the past several weeks I have been studying the book of Hebrews. This morning as I sat down with my coffee and the Word, this passage was my focus. It is very similar to Hebrews 2:1. In both cases the writer is concerned that those who have heard the message have taken it so lightly that they truly haven't allowed it to transform them. Here he is pointing to the Israelites as an example. Even after seeing the hand of God displayed in numerous wonders and miracles to free them from the slavery of pharaoh, they wanted to go back. They had seen God's might with their own eyes and yet after a little while they lost interest. They were more concerned with the things of life than the presence of God.

I fear greatly that this description of the people of Israel in so many ways is an apt description of the church in America. "Yeah church is good but I have so many other things to worry about. There are other things that entertain me better or meet my needs."

Are there many who have walked with us but who will not reach God's rest because of the "deceitfulness of sin" (Heb 3:13)? This is no small question. It seems to be a burden on the heart of the writer of Hebrews. And I feel it must be a burden on our heart as well. Life as a Christian is not about going to church; it's about walking with Christ.

Posted by Jack | at 7:09 AM

0 comments: